Sunday, May 16, 2010

Observing and Serving - It's a Choice

All dressed in white
Deep navy accents
And just a little red
No tails worn, just a black tie
The time is now
And down the aisle she’s led

Howdy everyone!

Good to “see” you all again. I’ve been off blazing trails and finding my own way. One of the most important things I’ve learned in the last few weeks is the gift of being an observer of my own life.

I recently officiated my first wedding and it was one of the most profound and beautiful experiences of my life so far. You may wonder how this all started. Well, a few months back a friend of mine had asked me how I would feel about ordaining myself as a minister so that I could officiate her daughter’s wedding. It didn’t take me but a moment to say yes. I was honored and humbled to be chosen for such an event. After a few clicks of the mouse, I became an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church and consider myself to be a practitioner of Oneness (more to come on this later).

After meeting the rest of wedding party at the rehearsal dinner, I knew the wedding was going to be amazing. Not only did the bride and groom show each other show much unconditional love, but the rest of the wedding party were some of the nicest young people that I had ever met.

The day of the wedding I picked up cupcakes, helped set up the room and checked in on the wedding party to make sure that my friend, the mother of the bride could relax and enjoy the day as much as she could. It was a day of service and observance for me. Granted, it felt different for me to be up in front of everyone and not be the center of attention but I have to say that it was a nice change of pace. I wasn’t there for me. I was there to join two hearts together in love, friendship and family. I couldn’t have thought of another better way to serve than this. During the reception, I sat back, enjoyed delicious food and observed all of the different generations sharing in this special occasion.

Another instance of observance came to me about a week ago while working. Many people where I work are in limbo due to the foreshadowing of restructuring departments and lay-offs. The group I work in is being affected and I am so very grateful for the friends I have at work so we can keep each other going strong and remind each other to breathe and laugh every day. When the moments get a bit heavy and scary we vent to each other. Recently, a friend of mine shared his mantra with me. He said “when I feel this way, I tell myself to take a step back”. I thanked him for that and started taking on the practice of taking a step back whenever life feels like it’s just getting to be a bit too much.

When we take a step back, instead of instantly reacting, we put ourselves in a position of making a choice. We can choose to let whatever is happening to us to decide our fate or we can choose to know that no matter what happens to us, it will always be ok and that whatever we are going through, it is for a reason which will bring us to a higher place of acceptance within ourselves. The more that we are able to expand and enhance the level of acceptance we have for ourselves, the more we will be able to live in that realm with others and before you know it people will want to know what your secret is.

So the next time that your wheels spinning, try taking a step back and observe what is really going on. Not what is going on for everyone else but what is going on for you. Look to how you feel about it and find YOUR truth in the situation. Once you can do that, you will find yourself choosing what is best for you.

It’s all about choices!

Love to you and all that you are.

1 comment:

Ann said...

This is a good reminder that sometimes, we do have to take a step back and let things do what it has to, to get back into sync.

Thanks!