Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Conversation on Spirituality

We all experience times of
Sadness and grief
When you are feeling lost
What’s your belief?

First of all, I would like to wish each and every dad out there Happy Father’s Day. I hope you had a restful day filled with love and relaxation.

I wasn’t sure about this week’s blog on spirituality. When people hear the word spirituality, it is often associated with religion and for so many that is such a sensitive topic. Today, I ask that you read this blog with an open mind and heart and be willing to see spirituality in a different way.

I have had many a conversation with people about spirituality and what it meant to them. Most of the time, it was associated with what we were taught growing up. Some of us went to church every Sunday, some of us only went to church on holidays and some of us never went to church. And then there is the spectrum in between. No matter where you fit in to this picture, I believe that we all have a spirit within us and that it is very personal and very sacred to each of us. For me, spirituality is the belief of something “bigger” than me out in the Universe. Whether it is a “universal energy” or “God” or even mother Earth, I believe that there is something out there that connects us to ourselves, to our beliefs and to each other. That “something” is what gives us the inspiration to dream and create the lives that we desire.

I have had a lot of change in my life recently and have had the opportunity to be still and get in touch with my spirituality. My spirituality exists within me, on the outside of me and through me. It is what keeps me going when all I want to do is stay in bed and pull the covers over my head. It is what drives me to learn more about who I am and how I want to show up in the world. It is the one thing that I have learned to lean on when all else seemed lost, even my faith. It is what has helped me navigate my life through the storm and has encouraged me to dance in the rain.

As I said, spirituality is very personal to each and every one of us. Maybe some of you never thought of yourselves as a spiritual being. Maybe you aren’t sure what it is to be spiritual.

I found a website that explains spirituality (in a non religious way) that I wanted to share with you. At the end of the article, there are some questions that might benefit you as you look at your life and what drives you to get up every day and keep going. Click here for the article.

I wish you a week filled with opportunities to find the spirit within you.

No comments: